Monday, May 28, 2012

500 mg!

500 mg is the equivalent to one whole peanut!!

We've been at this dose for a little over a week now and she's doing great. We got off our normal Friday increase schedule so she could attend Field Day (sometimes those things are more important). The 500 mg dose is still in the form of peanut flour. Our next increase will be an actual peanut!! I understand that some kids prefer to dose with peanut M&Ms (who wouldn't) so Calista is looking forward to that!

One small reaction (a few weeks ago) - she had a cut on her lip and got peanut flour on it. It caused her lip to swell. We ended up giving her Benadryl and everything was just fine.

2 comments:

  1. That is fantastic!! One whole peanut! We are starting desensitization on Tuesday with a doctor who follows Dr. W's protocol. Quick question, are you going to desensitize to the tree nuts that Calista is allergic to after peanuts? My daughter is allergic to 8 TNs (a few of which may be "challenged" away...not sure of where this journey may lead us after peanut OIT. Again, congrats!!! Can't wait to start the journey with you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! I'm glad I found your blog. My son is 3.5 years old and was diagnosed at 13 months with a peanut allergy (he has since then outgrown egg and milk allergies) but I have been following other moms on their kids' desensitation and trying to learn as much as possible about it and how everyone is doing. I live in New Mexico but plan on moving to the DFW area next year. I am really interested in getting my little boy desensitized but I am scared to death! Thank you for sharing this adventure.

    ReplyDelete