Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Day 7 of Desensitization

Just got an email to fill out forms for Calista's next appointment. Friday we will travel to Dallas for a dose increase.  Things are going so smoothly...I almost hate to think that or say it out loud :)

She has now had 36 doses of peanut solution with no reactions (other than the mild tongue itching on Day One when she wasn't washing it all down).  If the treatment takes 18 weeks, that will total approx. 252 doses.  Woohoo - only 216 left.  Okay, I know that is silly, but I'm just super excited about this treatment and the life changes this will bring about for all of us.  No more "special" cupcakes at birthday/school parties.  No more giving away candy that doesn't have a label.  And possibly an end to Mommy standing/hovering like a crazy person with EpiPen in hand...one day I may be able to focus my crazy elsewhere.

I hope this treatment becomes available everywhere very soon.  There are too many children with this life-threatening allergy.  Too many families who have this stress that a food could kill. I cannot wait for Cal's name to be added to Dr. Wasserman's list of those who have successfully completed treatment (yes, I know that we are months away, but that is closer than I ever thought we would be).


This link has a list of doctors who are working with desensitization treatments.  I did not create this list.  I found it on a Facebook Group, but I think it is great resource.

No comments:

Post a Comment