Thursday, June 7, 2012

So much progress in such a short time...

Approximately, 5 years and 8 months ago, Calista was diagnosed with peanut allergy.  Her first "official" reaction (not counting the countless unexplained rashes, red marks & splotches) occurred on a Sunday morning after I gave her a small bite of toast with peanut butter.  She loved it.  It didn't love her.


235 days ago, I met a mom - her son was a patient of Dr. Wasserman's.  I emailed my husband and decided that we had to see this doctor.  We had to see if he could help Cal.


108 days ago, Calista had her first consultation with Dr. Wasserman.


108 days ago, Calista had her first and only blood test.  This test showed that she has a Class 5 (out of 6) allergy to peanuts and a Class 2 allergy to cashews.  The doctor noted in her chart that a number >14 predicts a >95% risk of anaphylaxis on exposure.  Her number was 55.


84 days ago, Calista and I sat in a room with 2 other moms and 2 little boys who were starting their desensitization adventures.


Tomorrow, we are expecting her dose to increase to 2 whole peanuts every 12 hours.




Wow.  I can't even explain the joy.  This is a child who has had reactions from touching toys and playground equipment.  And now, she can actually eat an entire peanut.  And tomorrow, I'm hoping her forward progress continues with 2 peanuts.

No comments:

Post a Comment